Sunday, April 29, 2012

Adventurous me

When traveling to places, the experience would not be complete without trying the local delicacies.  In my case, I would not leave Palawan without tasting the famous Tamilok and crocodile meat...I just had to...I had to....


So on our second night in Puerto Princesa Palawan, we went to Kinabuchs Bar and Grill where I think all tourists visiting Palawan at that time was there.  The place was packed.  Luckily, the wait staffs are all efficient and in less than 10 minutes we were seated and found ourselves ordering Tamilok and crocodile meat.

  • Tamilok

Tamilok or shipworm in english is not exactly a worm.  It is an unusual saltwater clam with long, soft, and naked body.  It is a mollusk found inside the branches of dead mangrove trees. At Kinabuchs, they serve Tamilok in two styles.  The first is the usual kinilaw that is raw, cleaned, and marinated in vinegar or lime juice.  The second is breaded style.  We opted for the kinilaw variant to really savor the true taste of Tamilok.

The verdict, NEVER AGAIN!  Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.  It tastes like I'm eating wood.

  • Sizzling Crocodile Sisig


I love sisig.  Sisig pork, sisig chicken, sisig tuna, sisig whatever.  I tasted crocodile meat once when fiance's mom brought home some from her visit in Palawan last year.  So for this whole trip I have been anticipating eating it again.

The verdict, YUMMY!  The meat is very tender and has a flavor somewhat similar to pork.  Put some calamansi, soy sauce, and hot sauce in it and it's chow time!


It was one memorable (food) trip that I had.  Beautiful place plus good company, it was a hell lot of fun!  Thanks to the wonderful girls of F4 (Suzet, Len, Me, and Pam) and Sanchai (Dennis) lol!



KINABUCHS BAR AND GRILL
Puerto Princesa, Palawan

8 comments:

  1. looking forward to our next adventure trip with san chai of course hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Have you tried it? Did you like it? I wouldn't even attempt to eat it again haha

      Delete
    2. Uhmm.. Sadly.. I've never been to Palawan YET! :p pero that tamilok is what everyone is raving about!

      Delete
    3. My friends said it kind of taste like oysters except for that bitter taste at the end. If you eat oysters I think you will like it. Apparently for me I don't like oysters either hehe

      Delete
    4. Nyeh! Well not really. Like raw oysters? I dont really like those too :D

      Delete
    5. yup, tastes like those fresh oyster

      Delete